Driving of the first 50' ferro-concrete pile
This is a black and white photograph depicting the driving of the first pile of Guildford Cathedral. Workmen and onlookers, including small boys look on. The cross of HMS Ganges is beyond the machinery.
On verso in ink ‘Weds 8th July 1936. Driving of the first pile at Guildford’s new cathedral on Stag Hill. Weds. afternoon 8/7/36. Pile is of concrete, 54 ft 10 inch long above 3 [indistinct]. Cross in background is of teak from H.M.S. Ganges and was erected in April 1933 to mark the extreme east end of cathedral’.
In pink crayon, ‘Driving the first 50-foot ferro-concrete pile Guildford Cathedral’
Typed sticker: ‘4. Driving int eh first pile, as details above. Photo by D.E.H. Box’.