Cathedral Minutes March 1960
The Provost pointed out that it was proposed to attract the best possible man for the organist post, by advertising it so as to appoint in September 1960. So that the new organist would be available at the Consecration in the following May.
It was proposed to ask the Revd. E.O. Ware to be Precentor of the new Cathedral. He would have to be supplied with a house and a suggested annual salary of £750, the post would be advertised if he refused the offer.
The Executive Committee of the New Cathedral Fund Council recommended that three houses should be built in which case one of the houses should be made for the Precentor. If this was not possible, the Provost expressed the view that Onslow Village Ltd might be prepared to lease a house for this purpose.
The Provost should the designs for the Canons’ stalls, Miss Iredale suggested that the Parish represented by the Canons’ would provide his stall for the cost of £40. This idea was accepted and the Provost was asked to write an appropriate letter to the Parishes concerned.
An organ had been advertised in a musical journal, this organ was in a Baptist Church in Yorkshire and the price was £500. The opinion of Mr Cuthbert Harrison whose company had manufactured the organ had been sought and he had replied that there was good material in the organ and it could be used quite cheaply to make a satisfactory instrument.
Messers. Rushworth and Draper organ builders were prepared to take down the organ, to overhaul it and to carry out extensive work upon it on the understanding that its fundamental structure would form the basis of a new organ and they would complete this work in time for the Consecration.
The organ was built in the 1880’s and re-modelled by Harrisons in 1910, the Provost was congratulated by the Chapter on his successful transaction.