Cathedral Minutes February 1959
It was unanimously agreed that Mr. John Brown of Triggs Turner be appointed Chapter Clerk. He would not take a fee, but an honorarium to cover expenses.
A Miss Stewart had left £200 in her will for some article of furniture for the Children’s Chapel. It was unanimously agreed to accept the design of Sir Edward Maufe for a cross made from Rock Crystal to hang in the centre recess.
A sketch of the proposed stalls was submitted by the Provost. There was a suggestion that all stalls should be movable and this was agreed. it was also agreed that the Canons Stalls should be named and each Canon to be installed in and to occupy a specific stall. Further consideration would be given to the naming of the stalls.
It was agreed that the Deanery should be built on the ‘Old Farm’ site and the houses for the Residentiary Canon and Precentor should be built on the orchard site.
The Bishop and the Provost had visited the Church Commissioners who had made an offer of a loan for the purpose of building these houses. The Chapter thought £30,000 might be needed. The New Cathedral Fund Council had accepted responsibility fro servicing this loan. The Provost also reported about possible other residences, if and when required for Organist and Verger or Verger – Custodian.
The Provost also reported on the possibility of a temporary west wall at an approximate cost of £5,000. An alternative plan of extending the wall to the permanent west wall. The additional cost of this could be offset by leaving the interior walls of the nave rough cast for a period. The Chapter unanimously supported the alternative plan.
Sir Edward Maufe had submitted plans for the ‘Founders Plot and Garden of Remembrance’. The plot would be to the east of the Cathedral and the names of the ashes interned there would be entered in the ‘Book of Remembrance’ The Chapter agreed unanimously to these plans.