Cathedral Minutes May 1959
Mr. J.F.Brown was introduced as the new Chapter Clerk.
May 16th 1959 was the date fixed for the installation of the Rev. A.C.G.Oldham as Canon of the Cathedral.
It was agreed that the Annual Service on 18th July 1959 would take place in the body of the new Cathedral and admission to the Nave would be by ticket only. It was agreed that if possible the Service should be relayed to a congregation assembled outside the West End.
It was agreed that the the Cathedral Fund Council should continue after the Consecration of the Cathedral but should be operated in consultation between the Secretary of the Fund and the Dean. It was also agreed there should be no organised appeals in and from Parishes unless sponsored by the P.C.C. and that Master Builders should continue as private individuals.
The Provost reminded the Chapter that at the time of the Consecration they should have appointed an Organist who had been working for at least six months previously. The Cathedral would not be able to offer an Organist more than £400 per annum.
The Secretary of the Cathedral Fund had been in touch with the Church Commissioners and the Commissioners were prepared to lend up to £30,000 repayable over 25 years upon the Cathedral Fund Committee undertaking responsibility for repayment of this loan and the Commissioners insisted upon approving the plans of the residences. It was understood Sir Edward Maufe would not undertake the work of designing the houses so various architects were suggested.
The Chapter agreed on certain things that should be included in each of the houses.