Minutes of the Extraordinary General Meeting of the Guildford New Cathedral Fund Council 5th November 1959
The Chairman reported the decision of the Bishop to postpone the date of the Consecration from May 1960 to May 1961. Obviously there will be regret at the postponement the completion of the whole West End and the Nave, would present a much more satisfying accomplishment than if the Consecration took place a year earlier and would make uninterrupted services in the Cathedral possible from the later date. A press statement would be released at the close of the Executive Committee meeting.
Miss Iredale gave a report on various financial matters. She concluded by saying that lack of necessary office accommodation threatened the collapse of plans for the whole winter’s work.
The Council advised there should not be a postponement for the date of the Flag Day, which had been agreed for the 23rd April 1960.